Miss Representation

01/12/20

Miss Representation

This video touched on many topics that are still issues to this day, and I believe they've gotten worse. Almost everything revolves around looks now and that can be a toxic mentality for young girls and teenagers. Something that was said in the video is that people focus on looks more than the brain. It connects to what I see at school, because if you're smart but don't have an 'appealing' body, you are seen as a nerd or just someone who isn't cool and doesn't fit in. When I was younger I never thought about my body because it wasn't a big deal to me. When I started to go into middle school I think the atmosphere was more negative because many young girls and boys started to change their perspective on life. The teenage years are when you start to compare yourself more because you're around a wide variety of people from other schools as well now. You don't know them and begin to see only the outside appearance, and compare yourself. I agree that teenagers are susceptible to so much change and negative thoughts because I saw it personally. I think it is a big issue for the young audience.


Another thing they said in the video was that teenagers spend hours on the internet, watching television, reading magazines, and I think this is all bad for us and we don't realize how much we do this. This connects to me because sometimes I don't count how long I've been on my phone. There is so much we see everyday and this is bad for our well-being.

Comments

  1. As a male person, I have also felt the same way, where as I got older, I started to feel more self conscious about my body. Out of the different forms of media that teenagers consume, what do you think is the most effective one in affecting how teenagers think about their bodies and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of it could come from Instagram because it is such a big platform with more pictures and influencers. A lot of young people use it and are exposed to so much promotion of certain images.

      Delete
  2. I agree with how the influence coming from a variety of people makes teenage girls consume what they see and it makes them question themselves and what they are capable of doing. I think it's really sad how some people can't be themselves because they are trying to fit in with anyone else so that they aren't being judged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I don't believe people should be judged on based on their appearances and it angers me when people say something negative about another's outfit or body and even personality. I find it ridiculous that people believe they are enabled to have an opinion based on others appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I have become increasingly more conscience of my body as I have gotten older. I believe that as we get older, we get more critical and judgemental of others as well. This perpetuates it all. In reality, none of us are born with this criticalness, it is fed to us through the media, just as you said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment